Checklist emigratie Nederland

Checklist moving abroad from the Netherlands

Everybody that wants to move or has moved abroad knows that it’s not an easy task. You have to make a lot of arrangements. Not only do you have to say goodbye to your friends and family but you have to finish the necessary paperwork. There is so much that needs to be done, it’s easy to lose track of what you’re doing. We wanted to make things easier for you, so we created this checklist. Now you can move abroad without worrying you forgot something.

Before Moving 

Step 1: Which documents do you need to check or legalize 

  • Change your address (at the latest 5 days before you move)
  • Extend your passport and or drivers license if necessary
  • Check the papers from your car
  • request your DigiD
  • Report your move to social security
  • Inform tax authorities about your move
  • Health insurance
    • Move to Treaty country: Fill out CAK form 121.
    • Move to Non treaty country: Apply for a new health insurance in your new country
  • Legalize your diploma’s (DUO)
  • Certificate of civil status  (Marriage certificate, birth certificates, death certificate,...)
  • Copy your passport and legalize it
  • Residence certificate: through ministry of Finances in Den Haag
  • Make sure you check the passport of your animals (shots,legalize passport,...)
  • Health certificate (You might have to legalize it but it depends on the type of document)
  • Legalize medicine certificates(CAK)
  • Apostille
  • Legalization by foreign embassy or the Dutch consulate
  • Regulation from the court
    • Receive a signed note at the counter (With name and signature of the employee involved)
    • With a regulation you have to go to CDC of foreign affairs and legalize that document
  • Documents from lawyers:  Legalize them through notary of courthouse
  • Proxies: First get them signed and legalized by a notary then you can get them legalized by the courthouse
  • Legalize your autograph: By notary or township
  • Diploma description (Nuffic)
  • Request child support
  • For children: Make the school describe the type of your education, results and guidance
  • Register yourself as a voter: To make sure you can vote for the second chamber, the european parliament or with a non binding referendum
  • Arrange a moving van or look for an international moving company. Through this form you can easily contact moving companies

Step 2: What do I have to cancel

  • Cancel your subscriptions  (magazines, cellphone, public transport,...)
  • Terminate your rent or sell your house
  • Terminate phone
  • Cancel your electricity: The contract is on your name so you can’t pass it on to the next tenants  (with rental)
  • Cancel your water
  • Drop the children out of school
  • Cancel the internet subscription

After Moving

  • You can request a voluntary AOW insurance to make sure you still receive AOW payment
  • Register yourself with the civil register in your new place of residence.
  • Register yourself at the local bureau for employment (If you are unemployed)
  • Search for a new school for children
  • Sign a new contract for gas, water, electricity, internet,...
  • Check if you have moving damage